Highly Capable Program Referrals
The Montesano School District is accepting referrals for our Highly Capable Program in all grades K-12 for the 2017-18 school year.
Referral forms are available in the school office or by clicking on the links below. Parent permission is needed to release students from class to participate in the testing. Forms are due back to school by Friday, September 29th.
Forms are available in Spanish upon request.
For more information, please contact Julie Aldrich at 360-249-4331 or email@example.com.
*Forms turned in after the September 29th deadline will be considered for evaluation next year. After the referral form is turned in, parents/guardians will need to give their permission by October 6th for students to be tested. If your student has been tested in both of the previous two consecutive years, please contact Julie Aldrich at 360-249-4331 before referring your child for reevaluation again this year. Students already enrolled in the Hi Cap Program do not retest each year.
WAC definition of Highly Capable:
Students who perform or show potential for performing at significantly advanced academic levels when compared with others of their age, experiences, or environments. Outstanding abilities are seen within students’ general intellectual aptitudes, specific academic abilities, and/or creative productivity within a specific domain. These students are present not only in the general populace, but are present within all protected classes.
Students who are highly capable may possess, but are not limited to, these learning characteristics:
- Capacity to learn with unusual depth of understanding, to retain what has been learned, and to transfer learning to new situations
- Capacity and willingness to deal with increasing levels of abstraction and complexity earlier than their chronological peers
- Creative ability to make unusual connections among ideas and concepts
- Ability to learn quickly in their area(s) of intellectual strength
- Capacity for intense concentration and/or focus